Starting a blog has been on my mind for a while now. I spend most of my free time eating and making art, and it seems natural to document my thoughts and experiences so I can recall them at a later date.
Tonight, my partner Rob and I returned, after a year-and-a-half absence, to the excessively named Pancho Villa Mexican Restaurant and Bar Club in Ithaca, NY. [The name is so long that the neon sign spelling it out runs off the edge of the building.] We love the food there, but the reason we don't go more often is the atmosphere. The dining room is cavernous, and it's blue. Very blue. A deep watery blue from floor to ceiling. Ask any interior designer and you will be told that blue should be avoided in kitchens and dining rooms because it makes the food look unappealing. It's true. This time, Rob and I noticed that the oppressive blueness had been broken up by red and yellow tablecloths. But the overwhelming impression is still of eating at the bottom of a swimming pool.
Anyway, the food itself was terrific as usual. I had the Triple Enchiladas Mole with three different moles: house mole, raspberry chipotle mole, and spicy mole verde. My favorite was the raspberry, which is complex, smoky, and fruity without being cloying. The ground beef filling was juicy and flavorful, and the corn tortillas had the perfect al dente texture. On the other hand, the nachos appetizer was not what we expected — just a plate ringed by a few chips individually topped with black beans, cheese, salsa, and creme fraiche. Tasty, but kinda skimpy for $6.95. My favorite item on the menu is the Plantain Rellenos. I will order that the next time we go, which will hopefully be before 2010.
All in all, an excellent meal but in a questionable setting.
The Angel of Gratitude by Dee Sprague
15 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment