I have been working on a new series of outdoor garden mobiles, prompted by the inclusion of our garden in the annual Fall Creek Garden Tour (June 8, 11 AM - 4 PM). We have a large crabapple tree in our backyard which is now bedecked with small mobiles. We also have them hanging from our front and back porches. I fashion the pieces from polymer clay rolled through a pasta maker, which I then cut with a knife. The wires are 14-gauge galvanized steel. So far, product testing has been successful, and the mobiles seem to withstand wind and rain. Even the bigger ones with sub-mobiles attached by nylon filament are holding up.
Here are a few of my earlier, smaller creations, photographed indoors:
And here are some later, larger ones:
Finally, here's a mixed media piece that includes polished river rock. I like how it vaguely resembles a dancing Pixar insect:
As you can see, I have not yet perfected my mobile photographing technique. The main problem is I don't have a spot to hang my mobiles with both a plain backdrop and enough natural light. Also, they move around (duh), so getting the perfect shot requires the patience of a saint....
The Angel of Gratitude by Dee Sprague
15 years ago




4 comments:
GO WERNER!
Think I'll do a little feature on you right now.
Hi Werner - it's Kate & Jim. We're over from Gary's blog.
Nice work. Nice blog.
Came over from Gary's blog, and I must say your garden mobiles are fantastic!
I LOVE my mobiles! Take a look http://picasaweb.google.com/kcoldren/WernerSunOutdoorMobiles
Post a Comment