Geri and Gunther came over yesterday to take some cherries off our hands, and they left us with some dill and a couple bunches of fresh bibb lettuce and escarole from their garden. So, I put them in a salad for dinner, along with a few sliced mushrooms, a couple sliced hardboiled eggs, and of course, several handfuls of pitted sour cherries. I served the salad with my garlic-honey-mustard dressing, accompanied by toasted baguette and brie.
The bibb lettuce was delicate, the escarole was spicy, and the egg yolks added a touch of richness. The cherries were a juicy accent, but to stand up to the dill, I found I needed about two cherries per bite, which is a lot. But they made a nice replacement for tomatoes, which I'm usually not crazy about in salads — somehow, I always find their presence jarring.
To be a successful cooking ingredient, I think the cherries need to have their flavor concentrated somehow. I will experiment with applying heat and sugar. From what I've read, this will bring out the almond flavor (cyanide) from the pits. Stay tuned.
The Angel of Gratitude by Dee Sprague
15 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment