Friday, January 18, 2013

New Drawings for the New Year

I've been wanting to incorporate more drawing into my work, and I finally hit on the idea of bending the geometries that I'm already using in my sculpted prints (for example, here), which are grids of pyramids and squares. The ink drawings below are done on top of digital prints, and I've restricted myself to using only triangles and quadrilaterals. These nets or lattices grew organically from a starting point, and the trick was deciding when to stop.

It has been said that drawing is thinking, and that certainly feels true when I'm making these pieces. The best moments come when my immediate attention is focused on what the pen is doing, but at the same time I'm aware of the composition as a whole. That's when the drawing strikes a delicate balance between rigid structure and total freedom. It's like meditating.

No comments: