Monday, November 24, 2008

Two Wall Mobiles

Again, for the December 7 "Gifted" show at Thou Art Gallery in Groton, NY.

The first piece is made from an old window fan that I found by the side of the road. I was drawn to the retro russet color of the case. I removed all the innards, painted the inside blue, attached a tree branch to the top, and made mobiles to hang all over. There is a large leafy mobile hanging from the branch outside the case. Then, inside, there is a small bird/fish creature and a yellow orb. The overall effect is reminiscent of an aquarium. The silver metal panels hide the support bars for the fan motor, and the rocks suggest the sea bottom. I left the plastic handle and feet on the case for a touch of whimsy. This piece can be hung on a wall or placed on a tabletop; 22 inches wide and deep, 39 inches tall.



The second piece features the creature originally intended for the inside of the above aquarium. However, the colors and shapes just didn't work with the rest of the piece, so I turned it into a wall mobile on its own. The backboard is painted the same blue as the aquarium, and all the edges are outlined in navy blue paint. I added a driftwood arm and a single orange bead as an accent. This piece is 21 inches tall and roughly 8 inches wide and 11 inches deep.

1 comment:

Nancy L.K. Boyce said...

WERNER!!!! WOW!!!! I can't wait to see these on the wall! Can we hang this week sometime? Just let me know when.
-Nance