Monday, November 10, 2008

Holiday Cheer, Mass Produced

As noted previously, I will be partcipating in the Holiday Store on the Ithaca Commons this year. It's my first time in such a high-traffic venue, and this has led me to churn out a line of smaller pre-packaged mobiles. I call these "creature mobiles". Here are two regular-sized models that fit on 11" x 17" pieces of cardboard. That's Sonja on the left and Tiberius on the right.



I also have three mini-creature mobiles that fit on 5" x 7" pieces of cardboard. They were originally conceived as Christmas ornaments, but really, they are non-season-specific and can hang anywhere. Their names are Olivia, Clyde, and Waldo.



I also have optional accessories that go with them: wire mounts for wall display (for both sizes) and wire stems (for the mini mobiles only) for sticking in vases, pencil holders, or cakes.

I will also be producing a series of small bead mobiles in clear glass jars, such as the one below (10 inches tall).



It's all very commercial, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, the smaller inexpensive pieces allow me to reach more people, and I suspect these are the items that will pay the rent. However, what I really enjoy making are the time-consuming one-of-a-kind pieces where I get to explore and experiment. I guess in the real world, you can't have one without the other....

5 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

they are soooooo cute W!
CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE! CUTE CUTE!
I hate making stuff for holidays. I wanna make (fill in blank, maybe zebras or elephants) but NO people ask about snowmen and such. What a bore......

Nancy L.K. Boyce said...

From the retailer and consumer end- LOVE THE HOLIDAY STUFF! Werner the ornaments are fab!

Werner Sun said...

Thanks, Gary! I haven't forgotten about our piggie mobile idea. Maybe we should make one with snowmen instead. Maybe for Nancy's show.

Nancy, I'll bring you some when I get more made....

Anonymous said...

These look great! I went to the holiday market over the weekend and picked up a Tiberius. Your display looks fantastic. Also love the Bird-Snake sculpture.

Werner Sun said...

Hey, Amanda! Thanks so much! Tiberius is definitely my most popular item (so far). Glad you like it!