Here is the finished sculpted print that I mentioned in my last post. The image in the background is a photograph of the paper folding in progress (seen below), so this is actually a self-referential piece of art. This photograph is printed on birch veneer, and it is mounted on a 12" x 24" piece of birch plywood. Then, the folded paper pieces are mounted on top of the photograph.
I drew dashed lines on the border to echo the maps that form part of the underlying imagery. Also, the print that I used for the folded paper pieces is reminiscent of a coastline reduced to straight line segments (as if one were measuring its length with a particularly long ruler).
So, maps and fractals pervade both the physical elements of this piece as well as the iterative process (going back and forth between two and three dimensions) that led up to it. Looking at the final result, I am struck by the similarity between the square-and-pyramid grid here and the wrinkled paper that I began with. Kind of like sonata form in classical music, where the theme that is heard at the beginning of a movement undergoes development and modulation, returning in a transformed guise at the end.
The Angel of Gratitude by Dee Sprague
15 years ago




4 comments:
What a great idea!
I hope to get up to Ithaca this summer. If I'm lucky I'll get to see some of your work.
Do you sell your work? If so, where?
I have a list of stores carrying my work here. I'm also happy to take commissions, if you want a specially designed piece. Thanks for your interest!
Post a Comment