Friday, January 8, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not

Here's a mobile (23" H x 36" W) made from bits of scrap metal (both plain silver and brown/white) that I've been saving over the years. This is the first time I've successfully used unpainted silver pieces in a mobile. The pictures are grainy because I had to dial the contrast way up in order to capture the silver.


Despite looking like a random explosion of glass shards, there's actually a method to the madness. There are three main sections, each consisting of three tiny mobiles of three pieces each (that's 27 pieces total). I arranged the three pieces in each unit to resemble the head, feet, and wing of a bird. So, the overall (subliminal) effect (hopefully) is of a flock of birds all heading in the same direction. Here are some closeups to show what I mean.


And here's a view from below: