Cooking with beets is best done for family meals only, I think. The lurid, blood-red dishes that always result would, no doubt, be too alarming for civilized company.
Tonight, I decided to experiment and try to make a small dent in the stockpile of beets from our CSA. I also had mushrooms and tomatoes on hand, all the ingredients for a beloved beet curry recipe from Madhur Jaffrey (see her World Vegetarian). But I wasn't feeling particularly Indian tonight. What I came up with instead was an unorthodox brown rice pilaf with lentils that, surprisingly, had the richness and silkiness of a risotto. I think the secret is in the browning of the onions and mushrooms.
The recipe below makes a big pot, enough for Rob and myself for two nights at least.
2-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
6-7 cups chicken broth
1 medium onion, finely chopped
10 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 small stalk celery with leaves (more leaves than ribs, if possible), finely chopped
4-5 medium beets, peeled and diced
2 large roma tomatoes, diced
1 cup lentils
1 t thyme
1/2 t crushed red pepper
1/2 t salt
In a small saucepan, parboil the rice in an equal volume of broth for 10 minutes and allow to sit and absorb all the liquid. Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, fry the onion, mushrooms, and ginger in vegetable oil until all the liquid is evaporated and the mushrooms are browned. Add the celery and fry for a few more minutes. Add the beets, tomatoes, and the remaining chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, add the half-cooked rice, and stir. Cover tightly, reduce the heat, and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the rice is done and the beets are tender.
While the rice is cooking, put the lentils, thyme, red pepper, and salt in a small saucepan, along with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and cook for 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are tender but still whole. The lentils and rice should finish cooking around the same time. Gently fold the lentils into the rice and adjust the seasoning.




1 comment:
no no no. this is a very bad look indeed. just say no to BEETS>
Post a Comment