WEEK #11:
Carrots
Hakurei turnips
Purple potatoes
Golden beets
Leeks
Parsnips
Black beans
Garlic
Kale
Included in this week's offerings from the Full Plate Farm Collective are purple potatoes. The vibrant hue of the flesh is shown below (with and without flash), and much of the color remains even after boiling. The taste is quite a treat; they have a complex sweetness paired with a satisfying firmness (halfway between powdery and waxy). I'll have to find a way to highlight these beauties in a simple preparation.
Another posole: For my first attempt, I just wanted a side dish, so I boiled one can of cooked hominy with 2 tablespoons paprika, one teaspoon dried oregano, one diced carrot, and half a small onion (chopped), in enough chicken broth to cover. After about half an hour, the broth had reduced substantially, and the corn kernels were coated in a warm, earthy, bright red sauce.
Tonight, I decided to make a heartier variation. So, first I fried 2 cubed chicken thighs with 2 minced cloves of garlic and one chopped medium onion. When the onion began to brown, I added 1-1/2 quarts of cubed root vegetables (purple potatoes, carrots, and watermelon radish), one can of hominy, 4 tablespoons paprika, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and chicken broth to cover. After simmering uncovered for half an hour, the stew was ready. The vinegar added depth, and the root vegetables added sweetness. Goes well with brown rice. Next time, I think I'll use more chicken and less vegetables.




2 comments:
I have a recipe for a blue and white potato salad that's good. The dressing has cumin, red chili, shallots, something creamy (mayo, youghurt...), lime and cilantro.
Mmm, sounds delicious and colorful! I'll have to give that a try....
Post a Comment