When Rob and I first met, we both professed our dislike of landscapes, and we smugly approved of each other's good taste. Yet, over the years, a surprising number of the paintings we've acquired have been not abstract or gritty or avant-garde, but pastoral and pretty -- landscapes, in other words. So, I decided I would try to make landscapes in mobile form, and here is my first attempt.
It's about 28 inches tall and 32 inches wide. There is a stylized red bird flapping its way through some puffy wire clouds. The stone is there to give weight to the bottom piece, but it also suggests the earth. The most technically challenging part of this mobile were the multi-color orbs (treetops, perhaps?). They took all day to paint, but I like how they turned out. They add sparkle, visually balancing the bird at the bottom.
Here are some closeups of various pieces.
I'm curious to see where this train of thought leads....
The Angel of Gratitude by Dee Sprague
15 years ago




4 comments:
i love it wow werner! also seeing that ben and i could respond to it. i am going to want to see it in person. put it on our site too. phew some color after all those root vegetables, though i enjoyed the sideline of CHEESE
yeah! love the landscapes, and who says landscapes can't be avant-garde and gritty anyway.
Thanks, Christi! You're right, of course, that landscapes can be avant-garde and gritty, but I probably wouldn't call those paintings "landscapes" (in my own way of classifying things)....
WHOA good bye beets and root vegetables......phew
Post a Comment