Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cold Winter Series

I find myself making works in series these days. Visual material that I may edit out of one piece will be rearranged and incorporated into a different piece. I think it's my way of erasing the boundary that separates one piece from another, of sidestepping the idea of a unitary work of art. It allows me to step outside the frame.

One series that I am particularly pleased with is shown below, entitled Memory of a Cold Winter. The images are based on photographs taken last January and February, during a long, difficult stretch of sub-zero temperatures, when beautiful ice crystals would form on the windows during the night. I took lots of pictures looking through those windows at dawn, with the ice gleaming in the sunlight. I reworked those pictures in Photoshop, printed them on heavy paper, and began cutting, folding, and assembling them into these sculptural collages.


Memory of a Cold Winter I, 20" x 36" x 2"

Memory of a Cold Winter II, 16" x 36" x 2"

Memory of a Cold Winter III, 24" x 12" x 1"

No comments: