Thursday, November 24, 2011

Blast from the Past


Over Thanksgiving, my mother unearthed a photograph of the very first mobile I ever made. This was during my senior year in high school, 20+ years ago. The mobile itself is lost to history. I think it was 3 or 4 feet tall, possibly more, although objects have a tendency to grow in one's memory.

It would be 14 years before I made another mobile.

Looking back, I'm struck by how much more fluid my visual style used to be -- inky shapes with sweeping lines and thorny cusps. When I returned to making art, nearly 8 years ago, I adopted a tightly controlled geometric vocabulary, influenced by the revival of mid-century modern design at the time.

It makes me wonder where I would be now if I had continued down that earlier path.

3 comments:

helen said...

You were great even then!

Werner Sun said...

Thanks, Helen!

alanc230 said...

It's interesting to see how your work has changed. Your different styles are both attractive and interesting, though.