I've been wanting to use paper in my mobiles for some time now, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Last week, I was trimming some prints on heavy watercolor paper, and the scraps made a spontaneous composition on the table. And I realized that's what I wanted my paper mobiles to look like -- a swirling cloud of random curly bits.
Here, then, is my first experiment with this idea. I like the organic way the process unfolded -- no sketches, no plan; I just added pieces until it felt done. I also allowed some pieces to rub against each other, which contributes to the looseness of the execution, I think. And then there is the tactile quality of the paper itself. Next, I want to print images or photographs on the paper before cutting it up, which will be an act of deconstruction similar to what I've been doing in my digital images. So all the threads are coming together....




No comments:
Post a Comment