Friday, October 8, 2010

The Word Engine

Here is a new piece (24" H x 35" W) for the Tompkins County Public Library's 10th anniversary exhibit, in which artists are asked to imagine the library of 2060. Mine is not a literal imagining, of course, but it builds on the mobiles-as-poetry idea I was developing last year, now with a human touch. I see it as an expression of the increasingly abstract and disembodied way we interact with our environment, with language, and with each other. I've realized that I now see everything through the lens of technology, and while this has brought faraway places much closer, it has also made my immediate surroundings more distant.

2 comments:

BSOB said...

I did get to catch the library show before leaving town Werner - great job. can they breathe in those cases though? Alice wants to free them she said. i think that means she wants to free them and relocate them to her house - be carefull

aliceinblogland said...

whoa i love the newest one and ben is right,always .right.